The ability to attain funding is a real necessity and a valuable skill for a career in academia. Many private and public funding organizations support research in the interest of the advancement of science and technology. However, most researchers find it immensely challenging to obtain funding for their research. Researchers need to write competently, go through the peer review process, adhere to guidelines and deadlines, and be aware of opportunities to win a research grant. Our upcoming webinar with Altum, specialists in grant management systems, aims to educate researchers about the process of creating a persuasive and compelling proposal for grant funding.
Through this session, researchers will learn the following:
- An introduction to research funding
- Knowledge about funding agencies and what they look for
- How to read and select a call for applications
- Understanding the research question – what is being addressed and why is it important
- The key building blocks of any impactful research proposal
- Understanding the processes involved, pre- and post-submission
- An introduction to Altum and the role they play in the research workflow
At Altum, we believe that research is the heart of innovation and the catalyst for advancement. ProposalCentral, a leading research administration platform by Altum, is designed to empower funders, connect the research community, and extend the impact of grantmaking long beyond the award.
About the Speaker
Dr. Christina Nixon
Medical Writer at Ashfield Healthcare Communications
- An established researcher, public speaker, and published author, Dr. Nixon has noteworthy experience in the field of academic writing and publishing.
- Until recently, she was working as a Senior Research Scientist and Instructor at Brown University, Rhode Island.
- Nixon is also associated with the National Science Foundation (NSF) as a grant reviewer providing expert reviews and scores for graduate research applications.
- She has 15+ years of technical expertise in molecular biology, parasitology, and immunology, along with 10+ years of experience in teaching and communicating science.
- In the past, she had worked as an Instructor and Research Associate at Rhode Island Hospital for more than 5 years.
- A Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Cellular Biology, and Biochemistry from Brown University, Dr. Nixon has several research publications published during her career.
Mr. James McKee
Director, Business Development for Grant Management Solutions, Altum Inc.
- Mr. McKee combines a personal passion for research with a 30-year career in IT to work with clients in order to reinvent what and how they do it.
- He has spent the last 20 years collaborating with leading research funding organizations to create new ways of finding and funding innovative research and the best researchers.
- He works with non-profits in health care, government agencies, and research organizations to improve research and grants management processes, offering unique insights into the challenges and opportunities facing research funders and institutions today.